Monday, September 13, 2010

Recovering from Mattoon Street

So far this season the Mattoon Street Festival is my favorite show. The fact that it didn't rain may have a lot to do with that. We've done so many shows in the rain. And this was a banner year for the festival with 95 artisans.

The weather couldn't have been better and the people couldn't have been nicer. On Saturday they came nicely dressed, many with dogs on a leash, and ready to buy. Some people remembered us from last year and were happy to see us back.



We were entertained both days by a rotation of musicians, singers, and clowns.



We tried out our new sheers and I love the way they look. Makes the tent feel a little warmer.

As usual we made some new friends. Photographer Margaret Burgess was across the street from us. I bought some of her cards with pictures she took in Italy of colorful homes. And I met Kathleen Dequence Anderson from Amherst who does incredible work with polymer clay. More about her in my next posting.

And we reconnected with some old friends. Elaine, the creator of the flower brooches made of zippers whom we met in Templeton, stopped by and chatted with us. She drove out from Worcester County just to check out the show. It was nice to see Rory and Patti of Hotrocks again. They were our neighbors at least year's show.

Sunday was cloudy and a bit cooler. The crowds came a little later and many were just browsing.


The Mattoon Street Association awards first, second and third prizes in each category. Congratulations to Katie Richardson of Katie Ray Arts on winning first prize in the glass category. She's a fellow member of the Artisans of Western Mass. who was exhibiting for the first time. I think she'll be returning to Mattoon Street next year.

With the Old Deerfield Show only 5 days away and stock very low, we'll be creating as much as we can this week. This is why I usually try to space the shows farther apart. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do both Mattoon Street and Old Deerfield--2 great fall shows.




2 comments:

  1. I'm a member of Artisans of Western Mass too. I didn't know about this show because I'm not physically able to do craft shows. I'm very glad to hear it went well for you. I hope that happens in Old Deerfield too!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like my pictures. I love taking them. And thanks for the good wishes for Deerfield.

    ReplyDelete

Labels