Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Last Look Around

I thought I'd take once last look around with my Kodak camera and photograph the last of the cubicles being assembled beside our department. This will be the new home of the Circulation staff, Reserves, and Interlibrary Loan (which now has another name I can never remember).



Du Bois is a very different place than it was when I arrived in 1972. It wasn't even called Du Bois yet. The building had just been constructed and we were preparing to move in. Susan Brynteson was the head of Acquisitions and was so proud of our new burnt orange carpets and bright orange kardex files for checking in journal issues. It was definitely the 70s!

My youngest daughter graduated from UMass a few years ago and as a student she worked in the Morrill Science Library. She has always been the most creative member of our family. So when she came across a pile of duplicate journals and magazines that were being tossed, she found a way to recycle them. It took months to glue the confetti sized pieces to create the scenes of The Biological Clock. It hung in Morrill until that library closed and the collection merged with the Physical Sciences Library. I hated to see it destroyed and it was way to big to hang anywhere at home. Fortunately Du Bois has adopted it and it hangs on the 2nd floor in a study area. I think it's one of her best creations.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels