Thursday, March 6, 2014

Jansjems on Display at Springfield Museums



Today I met Bruce Rosenbaum, the guest curator who is bringing Steampunk to the Springfield Museums.  I delivered 4 pieces of my Steampunk jewelry this morning and he was there to greet participants.  Having never been part of such a show I watched as they handled my humble jewelry with gloves.  I signed loan contracts and filled out forms and was told that my jewelry would be displayed behind glass.

Bruce graciously gave me a tour of his "Humachines" being installed in one of the rooms of the George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum.  Seeing his pieces in person made me suddenly realize what an incredible show this was going to be and I felt so proud to be a small part of it.  My pieces will be included in the "Brassy Bridal Steampunk Wedding" exhibit in another room on the second floor. 

Bruce Rosenbaum's "Humachines" are incredible sculptural homages to famous people of the Victorian Era. This one is H.G. Wells as a time machine.

And they are all interactive which makes them not only wonderful pieces of art but fun as well.  George Eastman becomes a human camera and when you push a button a flash goes off and concept photos of a future Springfield appear on the camera screen.

The call for artists also asked for artists to re-imagine and reinvent objects from a list of Springfield's industrial history such as rifles and motorcycles.  I'm really anxious to see these pieces which will be displayed in the Lyman and Merrie Wood Museum of Springfield History.  

I highly recommend taking some time to visit the Steampunk Exhibition this summer, even if you're not a fan of the genre.  Take your children.  It will be fun, educational and eye opening.

For more information about the entire show that will be running from March 22 to September 28, see the article in the Gazette's Preview Massachusetts
http://northamptondaily.ma.newsmemory.com/special.php?pSetup=northamptondaily_preview

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels